While it has been years since I baked anything with a streusel topping, I have to say bakes with a crumble have always been a favorite with me. Streusel toppings always remind me of the cold Midwest winters, snowy evenings, and the warm smell of cinnamon wafting through our home! So its quite contrary that I am baking a Blueberry Crumble Coffeecake right at the start of a hot summer.
Blueberries are in and are they delicious. Sweet, fleshy, juicy, they make for the perfect mid morning snack and we have been gorging them. While I have received many demands for a blueberry ice cream recipe, I could not resist blogging this recipe first!! This is a wonderfully soft cake, not too sweet in itself. Its loaded with great fat juicy fresh berries which are set off by the richness of a crumble. Use the best quality of blueberries and don't skimp on the butter in the crumble!!
Ingredients for Cake:
2 cups AP flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
11/2 cups fresh blueberries
Ingredients for the Streusel:
1/2 cup AP flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 stick butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- First make the streusel topping. Mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Run in the butter using your finger tips until it is crumbly. Set aside.
- Blend the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Alternately add the milk and the flour mixture to the sugar/butter mixture, ending with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with a layer of blueberries and then the topping.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Serve right from the pan.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2016. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.