Is there anything quite as yummy as condensed milk? Thickened milk loaded with sugar - just pour it over fruit, buttery hot toast, crackers and jam, anything you fancy for that loaded sweet satisfaction. Condensed milk goes back to my childhood. I remember my Mum would buy tins of it and open one as a treat after school. I loved to dip a teaspoon in the can, let the thick syrup coat the spoon entirely and then slowly lick it up, savoring every bite!! Then we would pour the leftovers into a covered glass dish and refrigerate it. The pleasure of eating chilled, yet more thickened condensed milk can only be experienced:)
More recently, I have started using condensed milk for baking. One of my favorites is Condensed Milk Cake. I love both the texture and flavor of a Condensed Milk Cake. Moreover this cake stays really well when refrigerated - its taste improves and it goes so well with fresh fruits and sweet sauces. Just chop up pineapple, cherries, or strawberries on top of a slice, drizzle with chocolate sauce, and enjoy.
11/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup condensed milk
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
1/2 c up sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend together the condensed milk, oil, milk, warm water, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend well.
- Now add the lemon juice and mix very well.
- Pour the batter into a prepared cake pan and bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until the cake passes the toothpick test.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for an hour, then remove onto a wire rack.
- Cool completely, slice and enjoy.
- Add a half cup chocolate chips or butterscotch chips into the batter just before baking for a truly indulgent treat.
- Drizzle simple sugar frosting on the baked cake. Flavour the frosting with lemon, lime, or orange juice for a really fresh taste.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2014. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.