Bananas Foster makes for the most addictive dessert! Whenever I have some bananas sitting on the counter that are about to get over ripe, I am tempted to make Bananas Foster for dessert. So a couple of weeks back when just about 6 bananas were about to go over the edge, I decided to improvise. If you like Bananas Foster, what can be better than a batch of Bananas Foster jam? I made the jam by improvising on the Bananas Foster recipe.
It turned out delicious and we really enjoyed the jam. Then last weekend we got really busy and I got no time to do my regular weekend baking. In fact things were so hectic that I was not even able do the groceries! On Sunday evening I decided to try and bake a cake for the week using the banana jam. I was completely unsure of how it would turn out, but I knew I had had great results in the past when baking with sour cream, so decided to give it a try. The results are here for me to share and you to enjoy:)
Ingredients for Bananas Foster:
2 cups over ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp butter, unsalted
2 tbsp lemon juice
Ingredients for Cake:
11/2 cup bananas foster jam
1/3 cup sour cream
4 tbsp olive oil
11/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
- To make the jam, combine the mashed bananas and lemon juice in a large pan.
- Next stir in the sugars, butter, and cinnamon.
- Place the pan over low heat, stirring continuously until the sugars have melted completely.
- Increase heat, bring to a full rolling boil. Stir continuously until the jam thickens to a spreading consistency.
- Turn off heat. Cool completely, pour into a jar, and refrigerate. This jam will stay well in the refrigerator for up to a month. It taste great on hot toast. Warm it up as needed to enjoy over vanilla ice cream.
- To make the Bananas Foster cake: combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- To this mix, add the sour cream, olive oil, and the bananas foster jam.
- Stir well to combine all ingredients into a thick batter.
- Pour this batter into a prepared baking pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cool in the pan. Remove, slice and enjoy.
Good to Know
- This is one of the best banana bread recipes if you like to slice and toast your bread.
- It taste great with butter or Nutella if you like a chocolate flavor with bananas.
- This bread is also great with vanilla ice cream. Warm a slice of the bread for about 5 seconds in the microwave. Top with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy:)
Nut Free Recipe
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2015. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.