Scones are like a quick bread and are perfect for baking in a pinch. Last weekend I made two breads - the cinnamon rolls and a vegetable bread. Both moved really fast and last night I knew I'd need another batch for the week. So instead of starting another batch of yeast bread I decided to make savory scones. Quick baking, a tasty bread that can be eaten warmed with butter, turned into a delicious sandwich, or even dunked in hot soup at dinner.
The scones in this recipe are delicious Cheddar Cheese scones. I used about a 40-60 breakup of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour in the recipe. This gives the scones a better texture and a great flavor. Generally fresh cream or buttermilk is used in kneading scones, but I some sour cream lying in the refrigerator that needed to be used up and so I used that. Result: fabulous scones at every level - texture, taste, softness all were great.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
11/2 cup atta (whole wheat flour)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp unsalted butted, chilled
3/4 cup milk, cold
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, chopped fine
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Chop the butter into small pieces, then rub them into the flour mix using the tips of your fingers.
- Once the butter is blended into the flour, and flour begins to resemble breadcrumbs, add the cold milk and sour cream. Throw in the cheese bits.
- Bring the ingredients together to make a dough. Knead well for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to about an inch think and into a square.
- Cut into 8 triangles. Place on a prepared baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Place the tray in the oven and bake for about 15-25 minutes or until they have risen and are well browned at the top.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the tray.
- Enjoy warmed with butter.
Nut free recipe
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2015. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.