Fresh pickles are famous in India. Every year when the first vegetables or fruits of the season make an
appearance, people rush out to but these tender treats and make fresh pickles with them. Fresh pickles are generally made with raw ingredients and seasoned with spices and a little oil. They are meant to be eaten with the meal for which they are prepared. Sometimes they may be kept in the refrigerator for a day or two but no more.
Today's recipe is a favourite of mine - Gajar Marcha no Sambharo. Its a simple and fresh Carrot and Green Chili Pickle made the Gujarati way. I always pick up a batch of this pickle when I visit Gujarati eateries. However as it really taste best fresh, I prefer to make it at home. It tastes awesome with dohkla, khandvi, and muthiyas!
More Raw Carrot Recipes @ Annarasa:
Gajar Koshambir Ver 1.0 | Carrot Peanut Salad
Gajar Koshambir Ver 2.0 | Carrot Yogurt Salad
Gajar Adrak Chatni | Carrot & Ginger Chutney
21/2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 cup green chilies, chopped
1 tbsp garlic, minced
Salt to taste
2 tbsp lime juice
1/3 cup oil
3 tbsp rai (yellow mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp hing (asafoetida)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
- Mix carrots, garlic, green chili, salt, and lime juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Coarsely grind the mustard seeds in a dry grinder.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the oil. Add the hing, and haldi. Now add the ground mustard seeds.
- Turn off the heat immediately.
- Gently pour the tempering over the carrots. Mix well and allow to steep for about an hour.
- Enjoy fresh with Muthiya or your favourite snack.
Good to Know
- You can increase the amount of green chili or reduce the amount of garlic as per taste.
- This pickle will stay well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.