Matar Aloo is a classic in the North Indian Kitchen. There are so many ways in which it is prepared in Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, and UP. The recipe I have today is a classic Matar Aloo from UP. The vegetable is a staple of the diet there. It is made with tomatoes for a delicious tanginess, and the ginger, garlic, and green chilies, all add to the flavour. This Sabji | Sabzi is best enjoyed with hot rotis or parathas, freshly chopped salad, and some plain yogurt on the side.
2 medium potatoes, cubed
2 cups frozen green peas, defrosted
1 medium onion, minced
2 large tomatoes, chopped fine
2 green chilies, chopped
1" piece ginger, grated
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds. When they begin to roast, reduce the heat and add the onions. Fry until transparent, then add the ginger, garlic, and green chili. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes, coriander powder, fennel powder, turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp.
- Throw in the potatoes, stir, and then the peas. Stir again, add 2/3 cup of water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary. Turn off the heat. Let the vegetable sit in its own juices for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy with parathas (Indian Flatbread) and dahi (yogurt).
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.