Last night I made this simple Corn Pulao with Gajar Koshambir (Carrot Salad) for dinner. We were just back from a long weekend and craving some good home cooked food. I already had some Arhar | Toor Dal | Pigeon Pea ready in the freezer. So while it defrosted, I decided to rustle up something special as well as quick.This Corn Pulao is a little different, as I decided to add cilantro to the cooking process. This gave it a really fresh and tangy taste which was balanced beautifully by the sweetness of the corn.
1 cup Basmati rice
3/4 cup sweet corn kernels
1 large onion, sliced
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin
8 black peppercorns
1" piece cinnamon
Salt to taste
1 cup cilantro, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1" piece ginger, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, sliced
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Wet grind the cilantro, ginger, garlic, and jalapeno pepper with a tablespoon of water.
- Separately dry grind the coriander seeds and the cumin seeds.
- In a cooking vessel, heat the oil. Add the cumin seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add the sliced onions and cook on a medium he till they become transparent.
- Now add the rice, and fry with the onions for two minutes.
- Add the cilantro paste, and continue frying for about five minutes or until the raw smell of the ingredients disappears. Now add the coriander-cumin mix.
- Stir, add salt to taste, the sweet corn, and 2 and a half cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat to a medium low, cover and cook till done.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.