1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 1/2 apples, peeled, cored, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
11/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
3 egg whites
2/3 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
2/3 cup sugar
2tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup cooking oil (I used canola)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
- Mix the chopped apples, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and chopped pecans in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flours, salt, baking soda.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add the add and the apple sauce and blend int until the mix is light and pale.
- Using a spatula, fold in the flours to get a thickish cake batter. Make sure there are no lumps and the ingredients are well blended.
- Gently fold in the apple-nut mix.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a loaf pan with oil. Pout in the cake mix. Pat to even out.
- Bake for around 11/2 hours or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for about 20 minutes. The remove and cool on a cake rack.
- Slice and serve.
I am sending this cake out to Priya @ Mharo Rajasthan. She is hosting Cooking for Kids - Whole Wheat with Fruit this month. This event is the brainchild of Sharmi. Make sure you stop by and contribute to this lovely event. Also sending it to Cathy who is guest hosting BYOB this month. This event was created by Sandy from At the Baker's Bench.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.