Banana Bread or Banana Cake is a favorite in our home. I bake it at least once a month - and have many variations of this delicious cake on my blog. I have baked Banana Cake with raising, with nuts, multi-grain flours, with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips - the list goes on! This latest is a wonderful Breakfast Cake as it is made with oats. Its dense, healthy, and nutritious and packs the power you need in a breakfast food. I love baking this Cake on weekends, for road trips, or to take along on hikes. At home I just warm a glass of milk and enjoy the cake with it. For the road I pack individual slices in cling film and add them to our snack packs. They are perfect with a hot glass of tea after a good long walk.
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oats, old fashioned
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup brown sugar
11/4 cup milk
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Sift the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon powder together in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, blend together the mashed bananas with the yogurt and brown sugar and oil.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet quarter cup at a time.
- Allow the batter to sit in the bowl for 15 minutes.
- Pour the same into a well greased cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 30 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan, then remove gently.
- Enjoy with milk or orange juice.
- This is a great cake for breakfast. Warm a little and drizzle with honey before serving.
- Add a quarter cup of raisins or dates into the batter to make for a more power packed breakfast.
- For an Indian touch, replace the cinnamon in this recipe with a half teaspoon of ground cardamom.
- This cake does very well for a dessert too. Warm and enjoy with vanilla ice cream.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2014. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.