Tofu is a wonderful substitute for paneer (Indian Style Cottage Cheese). I use regularly in my kitchen and so was surprised to find that I have posted just a handful of recipes on the blog. I would love to share some of the delightful dishes that I have whipped up successfully in my kitchen with my readers and so here goes. Last week I made my tried and tested recipe for Tofu Tikka Masala | Yogurt Marinated Tofu in a Tomato Sauce.
This is one of the best ways to enjoy Tofu in an Indian Curry. The spice blend makes for a delicious Tikka and the addition of the marinade at the end of the cooking process to the curry simply enhances the flavour of this gravy. Try Tofu Tikka Masala with plain rice or naan (Oven Baked Indian Flatbread), and you're sure to save this one for your recipes books!!
Ingredients for the Tofu Tikka:
1 block extra firm tofu
1/2 cup dahi (plain yogurt)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1/2 tsp lal mirch (red chilli powder)
1/4 tsp garan masala
1 tsp oil
Oil for frying
Ingredients for the Gravy:
1 can tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, minced
4 cloves garlic
1" piece ginger
2 green chilies
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander cumin powder
1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric)
2 tbsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek seeds)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, and oil.
- Slice the tofu lengthwise to a thickness of half and inch, and then cut each slice into squares or rectangles.
- Place the tofu squares in the yogurt spice blend, making sure that each piece is well covered.
- Set aside for at least two hours to allow the tofu to marinate and take on the flavour of the spices and the yogurt.
- Pour a tablespoon of oil in a non stick pan. Fry the marinated tofu pieces on both sides. Remove on kitchen paper to drain away any excess oil.
- To make the curry, blend together the onion, garlic, ginger, and green chilies.
- Heat oil in a big wok. Add the cumin seeds.
- Reduce the heat and add the onion paste. Fry until the raw smell of the onion goes away.
- Now add the tomatoes, turmeric, and the coriander cumin powder.
- Cook on a medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Then add the kasuri methi, the leftover yogurt marinade, and half a cup of water.
- Reduce heat and cook for another 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the marinated and pan cooked tofu, ensuring that each piece is covered evenly with the curry.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and enjoy warm with naan, roti, or rice.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.