After hearing this prediction for 2 weeks in a row, I've just decided to settle in and enjoy the rain this May. The plan was to transplant some seedlings about now - but instead am enjoying catching up on my reading and cooking experiments!! In between the two, I made steaming hot Idli-Sambar on Sunday, Spinach and Ricotta Manicotti baked in creamy tomato sauce last evening, and Chana Dal Dudhi with Mangori Curry (Sun-Dried Lentil Dumplings in a Spicy Tomato Sauce) last night!!
2/3 cup chana dal, soaked overnight
3 cups bottle gourd, peeled and cubed
4-5 curry leaves
1" piece ginger, mashed
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
1/2 tsp red chili powder
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ghee (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin and mustard seeds.
- Reduce heat and add the turmeric, asafoetida, and the curry leaves.
- Now pour in the chana dal. Mix well till the dal is well coated with the spices.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and cook until the dal is semi-soft. Top with water, if needed.
- Next add the garlic, ginger, and bottle gourd. Mix into the semi-cooked dal.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When cooked, add salt to taste.
- Serve hot with a dollop of ghee.
This medley of lentils and vegetables goes well with hot parathas (flat bread), and also with rice. This dish goes to Sara @ Sara's Corner. She is hosting Cooking with Seeds - Cumin for the month of May. This event was created by Priya of Priya's Easy and Tasty Recipes. It also goes to Susan, the host and creator of My Legume Love Affair, for MLLA 23!!
Vegan Substitute: Don't add ghee.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.