This morning I baked one of our favorite loafs - a savory braided pesto loaf. This super delicious bread is so simple to make and a real keeper. Its perfect as a travel meal, great on picnics, and much loved in the lunch box! Slice it, tear and share it, enjoy it warmed or with soup - in every way its nothing short of yummy:)
11/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp sat
1 tbsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
11/4 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
3 -4 tbsp basil pesto
- Warm the water, stir in the sugar and yeast.
- Allow to proof.
- Sift the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil to the proofed yeast and pour the whole into the sifted flours.
- Stir and mix into a soft dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and allow to rise to double its size - about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough.
- Using extra flour as necessary, roll out the dough into a rectangle 20" by 12".
- Slather the pesto onto the rolled out dough covering entire surface leaving 1/2" on all sides.
- Tightly roll the dough starting one of the shorter sides. Pinch ends to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough down the middle, braid.
- Place the braid in a prepared loaf pan. Aloow to double, about 25 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for about 40-50 minutes.
- Remove fromoven and cool completely before turning out from the pan.
- Slice and enjoy.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2015. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.