When I first started baking bread regularly, one of my go to recipe would be Quick Bread or Cheats Bread as I like to call it. No yeast, no kneading, no shaping by hand, and most importantly no waiting!! From start to finish an average quick bread can be ready in just over an hour. Warm, soft, super delicious with globs of butter, a good quick bread can make your day. I usually make these breads for breakfast, but you can bake them at night, cool them, wrap them in foil and save them in the refrigerator for the next day. Planning a family get together? Quick breads are perfect - bake and freeze for up to a month and you are good to go.
The quick bread recipe I am sharing today is of a savory loaf studded with sweet red onion and the tang of cilantro. If you like you can play around with the Onion Mix for the bread by adding spices or for a bolder flavor - minced garlic. This bread is simply gorgeous on its own, super with butter or cream cheese, and even better with your favorite soup!!
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
11/4 cups buttermilk
For the Onion Mix:
2 tbsp oil
1 large red onion, chopped fine
2/3 cup cilantro, minced fine
1/4 tsp salt
- First make the Onion Mix for the bread.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the chopped onions and minced cilantro. Stir, then sprinkle the salt.
- Cook until the onion has gently browned and is tender. Remove in a bowl and cool completely.
- Sift the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Now pour in the buttermilk, oil, and the onion mix. Stir until all the ingredients are just mixed.
- Pour into a prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350 F for just about an hour or until the top of the bread is browned and it passes the toothpick test.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Cool completely, wrap in foil and keep at room temperature until ready to eat.
- If you plan to eat next day, refrigerate about a couple of hours.
- Slice, warm, butter, and enjoy!
Nut free recipe
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2015. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.