Date and Walnut was and continues to be one of my favorite cakes. I remember baking it as a kid in high school. We always ate it with hot custard or vanilla ice cream. This recipe is heavily tweaked from my original as it had no eggs and is made with a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flour. The eggless version comes out really well - great crumb, it slices well, and is incredibly moist and delicious.
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar, powdered
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup yogurt
1/3 cup mandarin juice
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup dates, chopped1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Sift the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar. Mix well.
- Now add the oil, yogurt, vanilla essence, and mandarin juice. Mix well together to form a batter.
- Now stir in the chopped dates and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 F for about 40-45 minutes or until the loaf passes the toothpick test.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Turn out from the loaf pan, slice, and enjoy.
Vegan Substitute: Replace yogurt in the recipe with soy yogurt.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2015. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.