Semolina Quick Breads are a tasty and healthy alternative to heavy, oily snacks. They are nutritious, filling, and if you are particular about your baked goodies - eggless! Earlier this year I posted my favorite recipe for Semolina Loaf. The recipe was loaded with vegetables and made for a delicious and dense bread. Since then I have tried many permutations of the recipe, and off late we have settled on a somewhat lighter version of the same.
This recipe combines the grated carrots with the cilantro - no corn or any other vegetables. The loaf is perfect for making and keeping. It toasts very well and tastes delicious with butter and any vegetable side dish that you may have handy. I love dunking it in Aloo Rassa or simple seasoned Dals. Makes for a complete and nutritious all in one meal:)
1 cup sooji (cream of wheat/semolina)
1 medium onion, chopped very fine
3 carrots, grated
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped fine
1" piece ginger, grated
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
Salt to taste
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup yogurt, plain
2 tbsp water
11/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the mustard seeds, when they begin to pop, add the cumin seeds, and then the hing.
- Now add the chopped onion with a pinch of salt. Stir and fry on a medium heat until the onions turn transparent. Now add the ginger. Fry for a minute, then turn off the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the semolina, salt to taste, and baking soda.
- Add the yogurt and the water and mix well. Add the grated carrots, sunflower seeds and cilantro. Allow this mix to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Next fold the tempering with the onion and ginger in to this mix.
- Grease a loaf pan, and pour this mix into it. Sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350 F for about 35-45 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Remove from the oven, cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Cool another 5 minutes, then slice and enjoy.
- This loaf can be baked and refrigerated. Slice, warm in the microwave or griddle and enjoy.
Vegan Substitute: Replace yogurt in this recipe with dairy free yogurt.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2015. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.