Sunday breakfasts are always slow and lazy. I always like to make something slightly different and special. I believe that cereals and milk were just not made for the weekends, were they? Working with this theme, I made some Oats Pohe last Sunday. Filling, super tasty, and nutritious, they made for a wonderful weekend breakfast. As an accompaniment, I made some delicious Carrot and Ginger Chutney.
I love ginger and it is something I add liberally to vegetables, lentils, tea, and even soups. Apart from its mellow yet spicy flavour, I find this fragrant root | stem can do wonders for appetite, recipes, and general food appeal! In this chutney, I have paired ginger with carrots. If you have ever tried carrot juice with ginger, you will know where I am heading!! I have kept all other spices to the minimum, so that the flavour of ginger stands out in this recipe.
More Raw Carrot Recipes @ Annarasa:
Gajar Koshambir Ver 1.0 | Carrot Peanut Salad
Gajar Koshambir Ver 2.0 | Carrot Yogurt Salad
Gajar March No Sambharo | Fresh Carrot Green Chile Pickle
1/2 inch piece ginger
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup dhalia (roasted chana dal)
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp red chili powder (optional)
1 tsp til tail (sesame oil), raw
1/4 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1/4 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
4-5 kari patta (curry leaves)
- Peel the carrots and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Peel the ginger and slice.
- Place the chopped carrots and ginger with the shredded coconut, dhalia, salt and chili powder in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Remove into a bowl.
- Prepare tempering by heating the sesame oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the mustard seeds, when they begin to pop, add the cumin and asafoetida.
- Add the curry leaves, and turn off the heat.
- Gently pour the oil over the chutney.
- Mix in with a small spoon.
- Enjoy with idli, dosa, poha, or upma.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2014. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.