We are getting tons of blueberries around here. Fresh, sweet, sometimes tart, but always delicious. We love snacking on berries in the summertime and blueberries are no exception to that rule. Last weekend, I was able to lay my hands on the most beautiful blueberries at our local market. We ate our fill of them for dessert and then I began to think of ways to use them in baking.
The first recipe that I made was blueberry muffins with a streusel topping. They are mildly sweet muffins, eggless, and baked in olive oil, applesauce, and buttermilk. For a fresher flavour I added some grated orange zest and orange blossom water which I adore and am always looking for ways to incorporate into recipes!!
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup apple sauce
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tsp orange blossom water
1 tbsp orange zest, freshly grated
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
2 tbsp all purpose four
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl blend together the applesauce, olive oil, orange blossom, orange zest, water, and buttermilk.
- Whip in the sugar until the mix is creamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add half of this sifter flour to the wet ingredients.
- Mix in well, then add the remaining flour one tablespoon at a time.
- Now prepare the streusel topping by mixing the flour, sugar, and butter with your hands until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the blueberries.
- Prepare a muffin tin, place a couple of tablespoons of the muffin batter into the muffin cups, place 4 blueberries, then top with another tablespoon of the muffin batter.
- Repeat for all the muffin cups. Top with a tablespoonful of topping each
- Bake in a preheated oven at350 F for 30 minutes or until the streusel begins to brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Good to Know
- Replace orange blossom water with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract if you prefer.
- For another flavour variation, replace the orange blossom water with a half teaspoon of real citron extract and a teaspoon of fresh grated lemon peel.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.