Kathal can be prepared in several delicious ways, deep fried, in curry, dry vegetable form with potatoes and garam masala, fried into chips!! Because I get it in a can here, I never attempt to fry it, I cook it in a wet or dry curry, and sometimes I make a Pulao with it!! Last night I made a yummy Kathal Pulao with tomatoes and garam masala. This is a very simple recipe, and can be made in a pinch. Yet it is so fragrant, flavorful, and festive that you may want to save the recipe for a special occasion.
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp ghee
2 large onions, sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 can raw tender Jackfruit, drained
2 potatoes, cubed
1/3 cup tomato puree
2 kali elaichi (black cardamom)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin)
2 lavang (cloves)
6-8 sabut kali mirch (black peppercorns)
1" piece dalchini (cinnamon)
2 sabut lal mirch (red chili)
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
Salt, to taste
1 tsp green chili, minced
2 cups rice
- Wash the rice and boil it in plenty of water and half a teaspoon of salt until it is half done. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a deep saucepan. Add the cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and black peppercorn. Once they begin to pop, add the red chilis, garlic and onions. Fry until transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Fry till the juices begin to run, then add the tomato puree. Stir, then add a half cup of water and let the mix cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the green chili, garam masala, turmeric, red chili powder, salt, potatoes, and another half cup of water. Stir, then cook on a medium heat for another 7 minutes.
- Next add the Jackfruit, another half cup of water, then cook for another 5 minutes. By this stage you should have a thickish curry. Turn off the heat.
- In a deep pan, layer the rice and vegetable curry twice or three times - rice, curry with vegetables, rice, curry with vegetables, rice.
- Cover and cook on a low heat fro 30-40 minutes or until the rice is do and all the curry had been absorbed into the rice. Leave covered for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the pulao hot with papad, dahi, salad, and pickles.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.