4 karela (bittergourd)
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp gur (jaggery)
1/2 tsp lal mirch (red chili powder)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
Salt to taste
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
2 tbsp of lemon juice (or to taste)
- Peel, seed, and dice the bitter gourd. Sprinkle with a half teaspoon of salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, asafoetida, and turmeric.
- Add the onions and fry on a gentle heat until the onions are transparent and and soft.
- Wash the bitter gourd, squeeze away any water, then add to the pan.
- Sprinkle with the red chili powder. Stir well, cover and cook until the bitter gourd is soft and well done.
- If needed add a couple of tablespoons of water to the vegetable.
- Stir in the jaggery and slat to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Serve warm after stirring in a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice.
Good to know:
- Add the lime juice to taste just before serving.
- This vegetable stays well in the refrigerator for up to a week. If preparing to eat at a later date, do not add the lemon juice you have warmed the dish and it is ready to serve.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.