Patta Gobhi Aloo is not easy to prepare. The cabbage can get soggy and completely wilt away in the pan. But after I ate this at my brother's a few weeks ago, I was inspired to try it again. It is a typical North Indian preparation and he made it exactly as my Mum does. In fact it was so tasty that I was hooked.
3 cups cabbage, shredded
2 medium potato, cubed (small)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp lal mirch (red chili powder)
1/4 tsp amchur (raw mango powder)
2 tbsp canola oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin.
- Reduce heat to a medium high. Add the turmeric and potatoes.
- Stir till the potatoes are well coated with the oil mix.
- Now cover for 2 minutes, then uncover stir and add the cabbage.
- Stir the vegetable so that the cabbage too is coated with the oil mix.
- Reduce the heat to a medium low. cover and cook the vegetable.
- Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cover, add the red chili powder, raw mango powder, and salt to season.
- Stir once and then cook for another five minutes uncovered.
- The potatoes should be just done and the cabbage cooked but not soggy at this stage.
- Turn out on to a serving dish and serve with rice and a dal of choice.
- Alternatively, try with a chappati or paratha (Indian Flatbreads).
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.