2 cups all-purpose flour
12/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 (14g) sachets active yeast
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water, hot
1/2 cup water, room temperature
Oil, for kneading
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped fine
Salt to taste
2 green chilies, chopped fine
2 tbsp olive oil
- First make the filling. Heat the oil gently in a pan. Add the onions and fry till golden. Add the garlic and cilantro and continue frying for a couple of minutes. Add the green chilies and salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Sift the flours and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the sugar with the hot and room temperature waters.
- Pour in the yeast, mix, and cover for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.
- Stir in the sour cream, and then pour the whole mix into the flours.
- Bring together to form a dough and knead.
- Add a teaspoonful of oil, and knead for ten minutes.
- Place in a well oiled bowl for an hour and allow to rise.
- Remove the dough onto a floured surface, knock it down.
- Using another teaspoon of oil, knead the dough for another ten minutes.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle. Spoon the onion mix onto the center and spread it out evenly.
- Shape into a loaf by rolling one end over the other.
- Place in a loaf tin and bake at 360F for about an hour.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 25 minutes on a wire rack.
- Slice and eat.
Post Script: The March 2011 Daring Bakers Challenge was hosted by Ria of Ria's Collection and Jamie of Life's a Feast. Ria and Jamie challenged The Daring Bakers to bake a Yeasted Meringue Coffee Cake.
Click here for the complete March 2011 Daring Bakers Challenge.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2011. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.