Today, I grow some of my own in the summer, but I get the bulk of them via a great organic farm not too far from home. Green beans are so versatile and flavourful that they can be added many dishes - mains or sides. I make Makkai Fras Beans every so often for lunch. Its a light vegetable that goes beautifully with rotis and a cup of fresh home made dahi (yogurt).
2 cups green beans, french cut
3/4 cup sweetcorn
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp urad dal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chili
Salt to taste
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
7-8 curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the cumin, green chili, and curry leaves.
- Add the urad dal and hing. Stir for a few minutes.
- Now throw in the green beans and corn. Stir to coat evenly with spices and oil.
- Pour in a quarter cup of water - cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Let the vegetable sit in its own heat for a couple of minutes.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.