2 cups acorn squash, peeled and cubed
2 cups butternut squash
1/2 cup fresh coconut
8-10 curry leaves
11/2 tsp urad dal (split black gram lentils)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 dried red chilies
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
- Place the pumpkin cubes in a large saucepan.
- Add salt, water, and turmeric powder.
- Boil until the pumpkin cubes are just soft.
- While the pumpkin is cooking, prepare the spices.
- Grind together the coconut, cumin, and red chilies.
- To this mix, add the ground fresh pepper, blend together till you get a paste.
- Once the pumpkin is ready, add this paste to the saucepan.
- Continue simmering on a medium heat foe 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed by the vegetable, and a thickish sauce coats the pumpkin cubes.
- Prepare the tarka or tempering by heating the canola and coconut oils in a small pan.
- Add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the curry leaves, and then the urad dal.
- Turn off the heat. Pour this over the cooked vegetables.
- Serve immediately with chappatis and raita/dahi.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.