1 cup toor/arhar dal
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
1 green chili, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped fine
7-8 curry leaves
1 tsp gur (jaggery)
Salt, to taste
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- Pressure cook the lentils in 2 cups of water with the turmeric until soft and mushy.
- Let the pressure drop completely before opening the cooker.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, then the cumin seeds and hing.
- Next add the curry leaves and green chilies. Fry for a minute.
- Add this to the cooked lentils and boil. If the lentils are too thick, add a cup of water at this point.
- Next add the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Now add the jaggery and salt.
- Turn off the heat, add the lime juice.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.