1 cup cabbage, grated
1 tbsp ginger, grated
2 green chilies, minced
2 cups whole wheat flour (more for rolling)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
Water, as needed
Ghee, as needed
- Sift the flour and salt. add the cumin seeds, ginger, cabbage, and green chilies.
- With just enough water, prepared a semi-stiff dough. Cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Add a half teaspoon of ghee to the dough, knead well to incorporate.
- Heat a large pan or griddle. Reduce heat to medium.
- Divide the dough into small balls the size of key limes.
- Taking one, roll it out into a thinnish disc.
- Place on the heated griddle. Allow one side to cook, until brownish spots appear on it.
- Turn over, cook the other side. Using a spoon to apply a spot of ghee.
- Remove from the griddle, and place on a sheet of wax paper.
- Repeat until the dough is used up and you have a nice stack of parathas.
- Serve with your favourite curry or vegetable.
They can be saved in the refrigerator for a week. Cool completely and then wrap them in a layer of wax paper before placing them in any storage container. You can also freeze them in a good quality freezer bag.
Vegan Substitute: Replace the ghee in this recipe with vegetable oil.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.