The Daring Cooks March 2010 Challenge was to make a great Italian favourite: Risotto.
As per the Challenge, I made my own Stock: Homemade Vegetable Stock. And then, of course the Risotto. Now this was not my first encounter with Risotto at home. In fact, my Mum used to make a deliciously creamy and rather rich Spinach Risotto when I was in school. I too make it, though only occasionally, as for some reason this dish is not too popular in my home!!
For this Challenge I chose to make a Zucchini & Sweet Yellow Pepper Risotto, seasoned with Chives and Parmesan Cheese. Not only did it look amazing, it was delicious!!
1tsp + 1tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated (more if you like)
1 tsp chives
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup zucchini, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup sweet yellow pepper, cut into small cubes
4-6 cups Homemade Vegetable Stock
Pinch of Salt
- Heat oil and 1tsp butter in a heavy bottomed pan Fry until it has softened.
- Add the rice into the butter-onion mix and coat thoroughly. Toast lightly.
- Add a ladleful of the soup stock. Stir the rice. Allow the stock to be absorbed by the rice.
- Add a cup of the stock, stir the rice again and keep stirring until stock is absorbed again. Repeat at least 3 times, or until the rice begins to fluff up.
- Now add the cubed zucchini, yellow pepper, chives, a pinch of salt, parmesan cheese, and blend in. Add another cup of the stock. Stir and cook, allow some liquid to remain. Turn off the heat. Cover and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Uncover and serve sprinkled with some extra parmesan cheese and a sprig of parsley.
Postscript: The 2010 March Daring Cooks Challenge was hosted by Eleanor of MelbournefoodGeek and Jess of Jessthebaker. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make risotto. The various components of their challenge are based on input from the Australian Masterchef cookbook and the cookbook Moorish by Greg Malouf.
The Daring Cooks April 2010 Challenge follows in the next post :)
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.