1 tbsp + 1 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
½ onion, diced
1 whole carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
4 cups Homemade Vegetable Stock
1 tbsp corn flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tbsp half and half (single cream)
Salt, to taste
- Pour the olive oil and the 1 teaspoon of butter into a large soup pan.
- Add the onion and cook until it is well softened and begins to caramelise.
- Next, add the carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Now add cauliflower and parsley and stir to blend all ingredients.
- Cover the pan and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes.
- Pour in the Homemade Vegetable Stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and then allow to simmer.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the one tablespoon butter. Whisk the corn flour and milk in a teacup, then add this flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the single cream.
- Add this cream sauce to the simmering soup.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- Top with sour cream and freshly chopped parsley just before serving.
Vegan Substitutes: Try unflavoured soy milk as a dairy substitute, and non-dairy margarine for butter.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.