1 cup chana dal, soaked overnight
2 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp rice flour
1" piece ginger
2 cloves garlic
3-4 peppercorns, crushed coarsely
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 tbsp cilantro, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 green chilies, chopped fine
2 red chilies, crushed
5-6 curry leaves, chopped fine
Salt, to taste
Canola oil, for deep frying
- Grind the ginger, garlic, salt, and asafoetida. Add the drained chana dal to this paste, and blend so that the dal is coarsely minced.
- Remove from the blender, add the crushed black pepper, cornflour, rice flour, onions, cilantro, green chillies, red chilies, curry leaves and mix well. Check for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed pan. Using the palms of your hands, make walnut sized balls with the dal (lentil-spice)l mix. Flatten the balls into disks.
- Deep fry 3-4 at a time on medium heat. Once they are golden brown and look crispy, remove and drain on a kitchen towel.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007-2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.