Back in the day when we lived in Mumbai, Sundals featured heavily on the Navratri menu. Delicious warm salads made with lentils or beans, seasoned with asafoetida, curry leaves, chilies, and freshly shredded coconut. After moving away from Mumbai, I pretty much forgot about these power packed protein rich salads. Then I came to know a great family that celebrated Navratri the traditional way complete with a new Sundal recipe each day!!
With memories returned the desire to make these delicious salads at home. I love these bean or lentil based salads so much that I even make them in the summer for lunch or a picnic. Being tasty, filling, and nutritious, they make for a great snack at tea time. Make a couple of batches of Sundal and stock your refrigerator or freezer with them. Simply defrost in the microwave, warm, and enjoy plain or with chutney and yogurt!!
1/2 cup green chana, soaked overnight
Salt to taste
1/4 cup shredded coconut, fresh
1 green chili, chopped fine
1/2 tsp (rai) mustard seeds
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
5-6 curry leaves
1 tbsp oil
- Drain the water from the chana and wash thoroughly.
- Place the chana in a large saucepan with 21/2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook on a medium high until the chana is tender.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the hing, mustard seeds, green chilies, and curry leaves.
- Add the green chana and salt to taste.
- Stir well to ensure the chana is well coated with the oil and salt.
- Add a quarter cup of water, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with the shredded coconut. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the coconut well into the chana, check for salt.
- Enjoy warm
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.