Its that time of the year again when our favorite farm is open to 'Pick Your Own' seasonal vegetables. Saturday was the first time this year we drove down to pick delicious sun kissed vegetables including summer squash, zucchini, kohl rabi, kale, green onions, and beets! Quite a haul you might say - but we have been waiting for over a month for the farm to open up. Extended winter and an unusually cold spring delayed the vegetables this year and I can't believe that it is July when the produce actually began to show up in quantities that has allowed the farm to open! But we are not complaining - we are ready and willing to pick:)
Saturday was a warm and wonderful day and we were lucky enough to get a gentle breeze too. Exactly what is needed when you plan to spend the day walking up and down rows of delicious vegetables, selecting what to pick. The zucchini was so crisp and fresh that I just could not resist gathering a bagful. In fact I collected so many that even I began to wonder what recipes I would use them in!! On the whole I think I did well - starting Sunday I have been adding zucchini to various recipes and we have been enjoying the beautiful farm fresh produce. The first recipe I will share with you is: melt in the mouth Zucchini Fritters!
3 cups zucchini, grated
1 cup potato, grated
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp mixed Italian herbs
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
- Place the grated zucchini and potato together in a large mixing bowl. Toss together.
- Take handfuls of the mix and squeeze out all the water from it.
- To this add the whole wheat flour, herbs, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Heat a griddle. Add a few drops of oil. Reduce heat to a medium.
- Take a large spoonful of the mix, roll into a ball, then flatten between the palms of your hand.
- Place on the heated griddle. Repeat until you get 4-5 fritters on the griddle.
- Cook the fritter until it gets puffy and golden brown on either side.
- Add oil as needed. Once done remove onto a kitchen towel, drain any excess oil
- Enjoy warm or cold with your favourite condiment.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.