I have always loved granola and Swiss style muesli - they are the go to breakfast or even snack for me. Until some years back I would always have a box both in my pantry. Then I started making oats for breakfast and I came to love porridge with warmed milk, honey, and fruit. Cooked oats are especially great on cold winter mornings - hearty, filling, and so tasty.
Summer however is a whole different time around here. Its so hot on some days, I'd just rather eat a cup of yogurt and fruit than to even attempt setting foot in the kitchen. So in the summer I make granola. Easy to make and store, it makes for the perfect summer breakfast with chilled milk. Slice some nectarines, apricots, or strawberries and you will jump out of bed every morning just for the pleasure of digging into this healthy treat.
4 cups oats (old-fashioned)
3/4 cup coconut flakes
3/4 cup almonds, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- Place the oil, maple syrup, and honey in a small saucepan. Warm gently until all are blended. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, bring together the oats, coconut flakes, chopped almonds, ground cinnamon, and salt. Toss to distribute all ingredients evenly.
- Pour the blended syrups over this dry mix and toss to ensure that it coats all ingredients.
- Spread the mix on a large baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 275 F for about and hour.
- Remove from the oven. Cool completely. Save in glass jars.
- The granola will be good for up to 3 months.
- Enjoy with chilled milk.
- If you cannot find maple syrup, replace it with an equal amount of soft brown sugar. Ensure that it is completely melted in step 2 before pouring it over the dry ingredients.
- At 275 F the granola should not begin to over-brown at the edges. However, if you like, remove the baking tray from the oven at the 40 minute mark. Using a large heat proof spatula, move the granola around so as to redistribute it on the tray. Continue baking for the remaining 20 minutes.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.