Its been the most incredibly busy week. Its also been some time since my last post and I have been trying to get this recipe out on the blog for the last 4 days!! Anyway, I guess its better late than never. This is a deliciously nutritious recipe for whole green lentils with kale. You can enjoy this quite simply in a soup form or with rice.
1 cup whole green lentils
1 cup frozen kale
Salt to taste
Pinch haldi (turmeric powder)
Grind to a Paste:
3 tbsp coconut
1 tsp urad dal (split black gram dal)
1/2 tsp saboot kali mirch (black peppercorns)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
4-5 saboot lal mirch (dried red chilies)
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
5-6 kari patta (curry leaves)
1 tbsp oil
- Wash the green peas, set aside.
- Wash the green lentils in plenty of water. Soak for at least 6 hours.
- Place in a pressure cooker with a pinch of turmeric and 11/2 cups water and cook for 3 whistles.
- Turn of the heat and allow the pressure to drop on it own.
- In a frying pan, dry roast the urad dal, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, and red chilies.
- When the urad dal becomes pink and plump, add the coconut, give a stir, and then turn of the heat.
- Keep stirring the mix for a couple of minutes as the heat will continue to roast the coconut.
- Allow this roasted mix to cool completely. The grind to a fine paste using just enough water to bring all the ingredients together.
- In a large saucepan, add oil. Heat, then add the mustard seeds, when they begin to pop, add the cumin, hing, and the curry leaves.
- Add the peas, stir and fry for a minute, then add a cup of water and allow the whole to simmer.
- Add the cooked green lentils along with the spice paste and a cup of water.
- Stir well, bring to a boil, and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until the dal begins to thicken.
- Enjoy hot with rice.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.