Diwali Greetings to all my readers!! I have been wondering for some time what sweet I should make to mark this festival and I realized that it has been some time since I made Kheer!! Badam Kheer or Almond Milk Pudding is one of my favourite Kheer recipes. The Kheer has a deliciously soft grainy texture, is fragrant with cardamom and saffron, and if you pay close attention gives a hint of heady almond towards the end. Here is the delicious milk pudding recipe.
2 cups whole milk
2 cups evaporated milk
3/4 cup almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
Large pinch saffron
- Soak the almonds overnight in plenty of water.
- Next morning, drain the water and peel the almonds.
- Grind the almonds to a coarse paste. Set aside.
- Take a quarter cup of milk and put the saffron in it. Set aside.
- Place the remaining milk and the evaporated milk in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then continue boiling for about 10 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Reduce the heat, add the almonds and cardamom to the milk.
- Continue cooking stirring occasionally for another 25 minutes or until the pudding begins to thicken.
- Pour in the sugar, saffron and milk. Stir and cook for another five minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the kheer into a heat proof bowl.
- Cover and allow to cool completely.
- Refrigerate. Enjoy chilled.
- Badam Kheer tastes divine chilled. If however you like your puddings warm like me then warm the Kheer in the microwave before enjoying.
- I don't like my sweets too sweet so I put only a half cup sugar. Add another quarter cup if you sport a sweet tooth.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.