The Daring Cooks September 2012 Challenge was Empanada Gallega! Yet another delightful recipe from the ever creative Daring Bakers!!! I made a vegetarian version, though not in pie form. I made individual Mushroom Corn Empanadas with caramelized onions. Oh, they were really good, kept well in the refrigerator for a few days and also warmed beautifully in the microwave later.
Ingredients for the filling:
2 large onions, sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 cup sweet corn kernels, blanched
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup cheese, shredded
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in the pan, add the cumin, then the sliced onions with a large pinch of salt.
- Cook on a medium heat until the begin to caremalize.
- Continue to cook on a low heat stirring occasionally until the oil begins to separate.
- Turn out onto a dish.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, add the mushroom, cook on a high heat until they are fried, and retain no water.
- Turn out on top of the onions. Add the blanched corn with salt to taste, mix with your hands and allow to cool completely.
- Add the cheese to the filling and follow the Empanada recipe for the filling the pie.
Vegan Substitute: Replace the cheese in this recipe with non dairy alternative if desired.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.