I have been wanting to make Pedas at home for a long time now. I find most Halwai Pedas to contain way too much sugar. Not that they don't taste good - lots of sugar can make for a delicious melt in the mouth Peda. But I was looking for something a little less intense. Here I have used condensed milk for that extra milkiness and sweetness. My recipe has no sugar and I found that the proportions below gave me a delicious milk fudge.
1 cup milk powder
1/2 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup milk, 2%
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
4 elaichi (cardamom pods)
- Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods and crush coarsely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the milk powder, milk, ghee, condensed milk, and the crushed cardamom seeds.
- Blend well with a fork and allow to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Then give it a swirl, and place in the microwave.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, then give the mix a good swirl.
- Repeat 2 more times, totaling about 6 minutes. By now the mix will have dried considerably, and will come together when mixed. Make sure there is no moisture at the base of the bowl; if anything you should begin to see some to the ghee separating from the mix.
- If there is still a little moisture, give the bowl another 30 seconds to a minute in the microwave.
- The final product should com together easily, look porous, with the ghee leaving the mix.
- Remove from the microwave, cool for about 5-7 minutes.
- The take exactly 1 level tablespoonful of the mix at a time in the palms of your hand. Roll into a ball. Gently flatten this ball. Place a pistachio in the centre and allow the Peda to set on some wax paper.
- Repeat for the remaining mix.
- Allow the Pedas to cool completely, then refrigerate for up to 5 days.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.