Continuing with the theme of Indo Chinese food I began last month, I made some delicious Vegetable Chow Mein!! Chow Mein is a staple at Indo Chinese restaurants and is typically a spicy main dish. Served with a side of some equally spicy dish with a sauce, its a whole different experience from meals at regular Chinese restaurants.
Warm, spicy, and inviting Chow Mein is guaranteed to tickle the tastebuds and satisfy craving for a hearty bowl of noodles! This version is made with rice noodles and is preparation method is adjusted accordingly. We enjoyed this Chow Mein for an early supper on Friday. I made some yummy Chili Tofu to go with it and together they made for a perfect weekend meal.
1 packet rice stick
1 cup cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, sliced
1 potato, sliced
1 cup green beans, sliced
1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
1 large onion, sliced
1 green chili, sliced
1" piece ginger, minced
1/2 tsp dry garlic powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
For the Sauce:
4 tbsp light soy sauce
11/2 tsp ketchup
2 tsp Sriracha sauce
11/2 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cornflour
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a wok. Add the onions and fry on a gentle heat till they turn transparent.
- Now add the ginger, green chili, and garlic powder. Continue to fry for another minute.
- Now add the potatoes and carrots. Stir. Cover and cook.
- Once the potatoes begin to turn transparent, add the beans and the cabbage, stir on a high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Throw in the sweet corn. Turn off the heat and keep the vegetables covered.
- In a large saucepan, bring some water to a boil. Add the rice stick and cook to the instructions on the packet.
- Once ready, drain, then wash thoroughly in cold water. Pour a half tablespoon of oil over the noodles, the salt and red chili powder. Mix to ensure the noodles are well coated.
- Blend together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- When ready for the meal, heat half tablespoon of oil and the sesame oil in a large wok.
- Throw in the noodles, give a good stir, add the vegetables, the the sauce.
- Stir on a high heat for a couple of minutes to ensure that the sauce has coated the noodles well.
- Cover and let the noodles cook in the steam for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Good to Know
- This Chow Mein is made with rice stick noodles. accordingly the method for cooking and getting the ingredients together is slightly different from Chow Mein made with wheat noodles or even Hakka noodles.
- The ingredients for the sauce and be altered as per taste.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.