Lucknowi Dal or Creamy Lentils Lucknow style are a delicious addition to any full Indian Thali | Meal. This is one of the tastiest ways of making Toor Dal | Arhar Dal| Split Pigeon Pea. Pigeon Pea when cooked by itself gives a really creamy dal! In Lucknowi Dal, we just make it creamier by adding some milk to the final product. The result - a deliciously tasty, wonderfully satisfying dal that goes beautifully with steamed rice!
3/4 cup toor dal (Split Pigeon Pea)
1/2 cup milk
1 green chili, slit
1 sookhi lal mirch (dried red chili), broken
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
Cilantro, chopped fine, to garnish
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
- Wash the dal and place in a pressure cooker with the haldi and 11/4 cups of water.
- Cook to 3 whistles. Turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to drop on its own.Then remove the lid of the cooker. The dal should be mushy. Add salt to taste and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and the ghee.
- Add in the following order: the hing, cumin seeds, dried red chili, garlic, green chilies.
- Once the garlic begins to brown, turn off the heat.
- Carefully pour in the cooked dal. Turn off the heat and cover the pan immediately.
- After a couple of minutes, remove lid, stir, and then pour in the milk.
- Garnish with the cilantro.
Good to Know
- The dal in the recipe needs to be really mushy, so it is best prepared in a pressure cooker.
- If you do not own a cooker, you can cook the dal in a large saucepan. Ad at least two and a half times the amount of water recommended above.
- Do NOT soak the dal before cooking. It was not cook properly.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.