I love pasta salads and summer is the perfect time to enjoy them. They are easy to put together, delicious to eat, and packed with raw vegetables that just make a pasta dish so much more nutritious. You can be really creative with a pasta salad and I never follow a recipe when I make one. I create one using a combination of vegetables in my refrigerator and nuts and herbs in my pantry! I generally use whole grain pasta for salads. It has a nuttier taste and is more chewy that adds to both taste and texture of the salad.
A pasta salad can be a complete meal, a side, or indeed great on a picnic table along with your favourite burgers, grilled vegetables, and greens! Just pack a box of it in a food safe container and place in an ice box until ready to eat! On Saturday we had beautiful weather and drove to the lake for a picnic. I made this winner of a salad for lunch. It got the thumbs up from everyone at home.
1 cup penne pasta
2 soy sausages, sliced
11/2 sweet corn kernels, blanched
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 small onion, chopped fine
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
Salt to taste
1 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook the pasta in plenty of water with a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of oil.
- Remove half cup of the water from the cooked pasta, then drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add the olive oil. Throw in the onion and garlic and cook till transparent.
- Now add the sausage pieces and fry till they are cooked. Remove the pieces onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the chili flakes and the cream.
- Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the water from the cooked pasta, salt to taste, black pepper, and mustard.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- To assemble the salad, place the pasta, tomatoes, sweet corn kernels, cilantro, and cooked sausages in a large mixing bowl. Toss this mix.
- Finally add the dressing. Toss the salad ensuring that everything is well coated with the dressing.
- Serve immediately in large bowls with a sprinkle of pine nuts and feta cheese.
- If you make this salad for a picnic, it is a good idea to add the cheese and pine nuts just before serving.
- You can replace the fresh garlic with some dehydrated garlic powder, especially if you do not like garlic pieces in the salad.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.