2 cups mixed vegetables / 1 packet frozen mixed vegetables
5-6 kari patta (curry leaves)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1/4 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp Goda Masala
Salt to taste
1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Once the seeds begin to pop, add the turmeric, and then the vegetables.
- Stir well. Cover and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add the salt and goda masala with about a quarter cup of water.
- Cover and cook again on a medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ghee. Turn off the heat and let the vegetable sit in its steam for 3 minutes.
Good to Know
- Its best to cook the frozen mixed vegetables without defrosting. That way they won't get soggy or an undesirable mash when cooked.
- It is also OK to microwave the vegetables in a large microwaveable dish for about 6 minutes. This will reduce the cooking time to about 3 minutes. Just season with all spices, add water and cook for 3 minutes after you microwave them.
- If you like a little tang, add a large tomato, diced to this recipe with the salt.
Vegan Substitute: Skip the ghee in Step 6 of this recipe. Serve the vegetable with a bowl of dal (lentils).
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.