This beautiful halwa was prepared by my husband yesterday evening to break the fast for the Vasant Navratris.
1/2 cup sooji, coarse (rava, semolina flour)
1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp elaichi, peesi (cardamom powder)
1/4 cup almond flour (coarse)
- Pour 11/2 cups of boiled water into a cup. Add the sugar. Stir well till the sugar has melted.
- Melt the ghee in a pan. Add the sooji/rava/semolina. Roast till it is golden brown and releases a wonderfully toasted sweet aroma. Stir constantly.
- Gently add the sugar syrup to this.
- Stir well, then add the almond flour and cardamom.
- Cook on a low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot.
Good to Know:
- Make sure you stir the sooji when toasting it, it burns easily!
- If you like the halwa softer, add an extra 1/4 cup water to the sugar syrup.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.