Ingredients for Crust:
1/2 cup barley flour
1/2 cup ragi flour (finger millet flour)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
Water, as needed
1 tsp Italian herbs
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
1 green pepper, sliced lengthwise
1 summer squash, sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup cheese, grated
1/2 cup soy chunks, grilled
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- Sieve together all the flours, salt, pepper, and baking powder.
- Add the butter, rub into the flour mix.
- Throw in the herbs and cheese. Blend in the oil.
- Using just one table spoon of water at a time, make a stiff but smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a greased piece of wax paper, wrap completely, and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a pan. Add the garlic and jalapeno.
- Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the peppers and the tomatoes.
- The add the summer squash. Then add the soy chunks.
- Stir and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Then throw in the cheese and turn off the heat.
- Allow the filling to cool.
- Roll out the pastry. Line the baking tin with parchment paper.
- Place the rolled out pastry on the tin. Shape as desired for a crostata case.
- Add the filling, dust with the extra Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375F for about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, let the crostata sit in the oven for another 10minutes.
- Remove carefully, slice, and serve warm.
Click here for details of the Complete Daring Bakers November 2010 Challenge.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.