Mushrooms pair particularly well with peas and I love using them in this Pulao. Cooked in a home made vegetable stock with cilantro and green chilies, Khumbi-Matar Pulao is a fabulous one pot meal. Quick and easy to prepare, the Pulao is hearty, delicious, and perfect for a winter evening!!
1 cup long grain rice, washed and soaked for 20 minutes
2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup sweet corn
3-4 cloves garlic
5 black peppercorns
1 black cardamom
1 bay leaf, broken
2 tbsp cilantro
1 green chili, chopped
Salt, to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp oil
11/2 cup vegetable stock (I use home made which is sodium free and organic)
Ghee, for serving
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the peppercorns, cumin, cloves, cardamom, and bay leaf.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, and fry on a high heat until the water runs.
- Next add the peas, sweet corn, green chili, cilantro, turmeric, and salt.
- Cover and cook for around five minutes.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add it to the vegetable mix.
- Pour in a cup and a half of the home made vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn down the heat, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is ready.
- Keep the pulao covered for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a dollop of ghee.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.