I processed almost the entire batch into jam, and froze some of the leftover raspberries for later. The jam I made is really a very old fashioned kind! It is very simple to make and requires just 3 ingredients. Actually the original recipe has only two ingredients - I added a third. The lime to break the sweetness and add a little tartness. The taste is just amazing. You can forget about store-bought jams after you taste this lovely preserve.
8 cups raspberries
4 cups sugar
1 large lime
- Wash and clean the raspberries, dry on a kitchen towel, then invert into a heavy bottomed stainless steel pan.
- Pour 1/2 cups sugar over the raspberries and allow them to marinate in their own juice overnight.
- Add the remaining sugar, and cook the raspberry-sugar mix on low heat until all the sugar has melted - there should be no granules visible.
- Increase heat to medium, bring the mix to a heavy rolling boil. Boil for around 10 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Reduce heat, add the lemon juice, and allow the jam to cook and thicken for another 10-15 minutes.
- Check to see if the jam is jelling. If yes, turn off the heat.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Then pour into cleaned jars. Seal.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.