1 cup toor dal (soaked for an hour)
2 cups water
1/4 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ghee
4-6 slices jalapeno peppers
1/8 tsp asafoetida
- Place the soaked dal, water, and turmeric in a pressure cooker.Cook for two whistles. Turn off the heat and allow the steam to drop on its own.
- Open the cooker, mix the dal to blend well. If the dal is too thick, add a little water, and simmer for a few minutes. Do not add too much water, the consistency should be creamy. Add salt to taste.
- Heat the ghee in a small sauce pan. Add the jalapeno slices. Fry for a couple of minutes, add the cumin seeds, and then the asafoetida.
- Turn off heat. Pour the seasoning over the dal.
- Serve hot with chappatis or rice.
This dal also goes out to MLLA 22, a food event created by the lovely Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, and hosted this month by Ruchika @ Ruchika Cooks.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.