So here is what I made instead: Khutkhute or an exotic Goan Style Mixed Vegetable Stew - its vegetarian, its vegan, and it goes exceptionally well with rice and quinoa!!
3 cups of vegetables cut into big chunks (carrot, potato, plantain, beans, yam, peas, pumpkin and corn cobs)
¼ cup chana dal, soaked overnight
2 tirphal/ peppercorns
A walnut size ball of jaggery
2 kokum pieces or
Salt to taste
Grind to a fine paste a drop of water:
1/2 cup of grated coconut
2 dry red chillies
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp tamarind paste
- Cook the chana dal until just tender. Do not overcook.
- Place all the vegetables except the peas in a large saucepan. Add just enough water to cook them.
- Add the tirphal/peppercorns to cooked vegetables.
- Prepare the coconut paste and add to the stew along with the peas and mix well. Simmer
- Next add the cooked dal, jaggery, salt and kokum.
- Remove from heat and serve with fresh appam, rice, or quinoa.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2010. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.