1 1/4 cup semolina
1/2 cup coconut, unsweetened, shredded
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup live yogurt
2/3 cup milk (1%)
2 tbsp sweet cream butter, melted
1 tsp baking powder
For the Syrup:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbsp rose water
- Sift the semolina, flour, and shredded coconut in a large mixing bowl. Add the baking powder and sugar and blend well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, butter, and yogurt. Pour slowly into the flour mix to get a soft sticky batter. If the batter is too thick, add milk one tablespoon at a time to loosen it up.
- Grease an 8 by 8 baking pan, and pour the batter into it. Cover with foil and let the batter sit in a cool place for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Using a sharp butterknife, mark out the batter into 12 squares.
- Bake for 25-30mins until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Prepare the syrup. Bring 1 cup water to a boil, add the sugar. Simmer until the syrup is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, add the lime juice and rose water. Mix well and set aside.
- Pour over the still warm cake and allow all the syrup to absorb before serving. The cake can be stored in the refrigerator for upto 2 weeks
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.