The day after I made my second batch of Mathris, I decided I must make some Meethi Mathris (Sweet Mathris) too this year! Deep fried dough soaked in fragrant sugar syrup. Whats not to like? These Mathris turned out to be perfectly crunchy, sweet, and delicious. We enjoyed them with steaming hot cups of tea!!
1 cup maida (all purpose flour)
2 tbsp sooji (semolina)
1/3 tsp salt
4 tbsp ghee
1/4 cup warm water
Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for Chashni | Sugar Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Begin with preparing the sugar syrup (chashni) by mixing the sugar, cardamom, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 7-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, set aside.
- Sift the flour, semolina, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the ghee, and rub it into the flour.
- Pour in the warm water and prepare a dough.
- Knead for 4-5 minutes.
- Cover with cling film and allow to rest at least half an hour.
- Heat the oil to smoking point then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
- Roll each in to a ball, then one by one into a disc about 1/6 of an inch thick.
- Poke each disc with the sharp end if the knife 7-8 times.
- Add 2 mathris at time in the oil. Fry until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Remove on a kitchen towel and allow the oil to drain.
- Dip in the sugar syrup (chashni) for a couple of minutes.
- Remove onto a platter, sprinkle with a few pistachio slices.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2015. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.