1 cup chawal atta (rice flour)
1/2 cup maida (all purpose flour)
1 cup dessicated coconut (dry)
1/4 cup dhalia (roasted dry gram)
1 tsp ajwain
Salt to taste
6-7 kari patta (curry leaves)
1/3 cup tsp saboot dhania (coriander seeds)
1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
2 red chilies
2 tbsp hot oil
Oil for deep frying
- Grind the roasted gram to a fine powder, and mix into a large mixing bowl with the rice flour, asafoetida, ajwain, and salt to taste.
- Place the all purpose flour in a pan and gently roast it until fragrant. Add this to the mixing bowl.
- Now grind the coconut, curry leaves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and red chilies to a fine paste with a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Mix this masala into the flour mix. Next add the hot oil. Mix all ingredients together very well.
- Turn this mix into a soft but not sticky dough adding no more than a teaspoon of water at a time.
- Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a kadai (heavy wok) until smoking. Then reduce the heat to a medium low.
- Now roll the Kodubale. Pinch a walnut sized amount of the dough. Gently roll this on a surface until a thickish rope is formed.
- Turn the rope on itself to form a ring. Press ends together and seal.
- Repeat until all the flour is used.
- Fry 4-5 Kodubale on a medium heat on both sides until crisp.
- Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Repeat with all the rings.
- Cool completely and store into an airtight container.
Good to Know
- Kodubale are traditionally made very hot and spicy. Adjust heat by adding red chilies as per taste.
- For a different flavour, replace the curry leaves with a 1/4 cup cilantro leaves.
- Kodubale can be made with fresh coconut too. Just replace the dry coconut with the same quantity of fresh grated coconut.
- The quantity of water needed to bind the dough reduces when fresh coconut is used.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2014. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.