I always to try to keep our refrigerator and stocked up with fresh home made meals. Yet every so often I also need to rustle up a really quick meal. Something easy yet delicious that we can enjoy hot off the pan. Seviyan or Indian noodles are my one on my favorite quick cook foods. With a pack or two in the pantry I assure you, you too can feed your family a hot meal in minutes. There are so many ways of preparing the seviyan - just go with your mood and instinct.
Today I am sharing with you the most simple way of preparing the seviyan. It is a savoury preparation with the basic spices. Once ready, these seviyan are delicious hot out of the pan. Or you can pair them with pretty much anything you have going - plain yogurt, pickles, chutney, dal, vegetable curry - like I said - absolutely anything!!
1 cup roasted seviyan
4-5 curry leaves
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 green chilies, diced
1 tbsp til tail (raw sesame seed oil)
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the hing, then then mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds begin to pop, add the curry leaves, green chilies, and onion.
- Sprinkle with salt, then cook until the onion is transparent.
- Add the seviyan, pour in 21/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the water reduces by 3/4 amount.
- Stir, reduce heat to very low, cover the pan and cook until all the water has been absorbed by the seviyan.
- Turn off heat, remove cover, allow the seviyan to sit for 5 minutes, stir gently with a fork, and enjoy with rasam and your favorite chutney.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2014. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.