After publishing the Oats Pohe recipe earlier this month, I got many requests from my readers for more Indian Style Oats Recipes. I use Oats in so many recipes that I was surprised to see only two Indian Oats recipes posted to this blog! So here goes another favourite at my home - Lemon Oats Bhaat | Savoury Lemony Oats. In this recipe, I substitute old fashioned oats for rice in the traditional South Indian recipe of Lemon Rice. The result is delicious.
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
Salt to taste
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
1 tbsp urad dal (Black Gram Dal)
8 curry leaves
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1/4 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
Juice of half a lemon or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the mustard seeds, when they begin to pop, add the cumin seeds.
- Next reduce heat and add the hing and chana dal. As the chana dal begins to turn pink, add the urad dal and fry until both are pink in colour.
- Now add the curry leaves, turmeric, and salt with about a half cup of water.
- Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until the dals begin to soften. At this point a couple of teaspoons of water will remain in the pan.
- Add the oats, give a quick stir, then cover and cook for 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of water over the oats, cover and cook for another two minutes.
- Repeat this step until the oats are all puffed up and cooked, but not mushy.
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle the lemon juice, stir, and enjoy.
Vegan Recipe, Dairy Free, Nuts Free
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2014. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.